Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In the South!


So where to begin... training as expected was long and tedious but overall it did what it intended.
Learned a good bit of Tonga, some information about fish and slept through how to build ponds and dams because honestly who hasn't done that? Oh wait not everyone is a Civil Engineer. Training as  a whole was roller coaster of an experience. A trainee died two months into service, my grandfather passed away on the same day, missing family, not being able to communicate with people easily back home, getting sick, never actually being clean all compounded living in Zambia. It is crazy actually,  I never thought I would turn into a clean freak but I clean myself all the time now and it is the best feeling ever, especially my feet it is a little obsessive! I have also lost a ton of weight, about 22 pounds to be exact,  almost looking like Alex Cegelski now! I learned a great deal about myself, more then I thought I would during the first three months but I am happy that everything happened the way it has. Looking back there are a few things I would of done differently but overall life is about moving forward and  learning from the experiences put before you. I was told countless times I would go through these things and I always brushed them off but now living through them it is hard to put them into words because they are just unique feelings laying in your hut lonely and helpless but still calm and at peace with what is going on around you, its a weird feeling to say the least.

I am being posted in the Southern Province of Zambia, in the District of Mazabuka, in the Village of Manyonyo on the Kafue River. If you are curious enough you can find it on Google Earth. The site  is a bit crazy because well I would not consider it Zambia. They are finishing an irrigation system  for the whole area that probably cost millions of dollars and will be done in March. So I am not really  living in the most rural village, especially since my host family has solar panels and cars. I am excited though because its close to Lusaka and there are a number research opportunities. I will be posted to my village this coming Friday and am looking forward to actually beginning my service in the village and not being protected and coddled like a five year old, but we needed it really considering how over confident we can be as Americans in dangerous places.

The next two years will be an interesting experience to say the least. It is going to be frustrating to say the least but this country has so much potential it seems like its about to explode. I am looking forward  to trying to work with the project in Lusaka regarding water and sanitation, there seems to be a great deal of opportunity in developing the ground water in this country, transportation is good for urban areas, but rural areas def lack access to markets to get out of poverty and aquaculture is a sector that has pretty much endless growth in this country because everyone is obsessed with fish!

If anyone wants to meet me in South Africa in April I'll be happy to see you! If you want to meet in Ghanna in  September for the Feast, I hope you can make it! I have an idea of where I will be the following April and October  as well but we will hold off on that till a later date. I have a nice dream list including any sauces from America, mac and cheese, any unlocked sim card phones, any solar equipment that you have laying around, wine?, hendricks?, cliff bars, spices, seeds, any tools or kitchen utensils (they are mad expensive), girl scout cookies, real deoderant, good cue tips, soap (Dr. Bronners), and drink mixes. To conclude this experience is just now beginning but  so far it has been just about everything I was expecting, though I am not nearly as mentally and emotionally strong as I thought I was but that is what this is all about, should be an awesome two years!
Reservoir for site
Compound and hut to the left

Cooking hut and chimbuzi

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't begin to imagine myself on this journey that you have begun. Update this often, or at least keep yourself a journal so that you can both channel and remember all that you're experiencing and feeling! Know that you have many people thinking of and praying for you often. I am beyond impressed with your complete selflessness and humility in dedicating yourself to this. Keep doing the good work! ... and I'll see what I can do about that wish list of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The list is more of a dream, only the food and drinks are needed truly haha... I should have pretty good access to internet going forward, just as long as I have enough power to write my posts in my village I'll be ok. You have two years to visit, best make it happen!!!

    ReplyDelete